Direct line

+44 (0)800 612 0997


+44 (0)20 34 111 999

From Ireland

+353 (0)1 442 8709

Skype ID


Home » Blog » Post-Brexit Travel To Lanzarote

Post-Brexit Travel To Lanzarote

January 9, 2020

All of the latest guidelines and information about visiting Lanzarote after Brexit…..

Assuming that the European Parliament gives the go ahead, the UK will be leaving the EU on January 31st 2020.

If the Withdrawal Agreement is ratified by Parliament before January 31st then the UK will enter into a transition period lasting until at least December 31st 2020.

During this period EU laws would still apply in the UK – which means that your travel plans will remain unaffected.

Will Flights Still Operate Normally?

Yes. Regardless of the outcome of Brexit, ABTA has assured all UK citizens that flights will still operate between the UK and Lanzarote, even in the event of a no-deal scenario.

Do I Need A Visa To Visit Lanzarote?

No. Regardless of what happens with Brexit the UK Government advises that you will not need a visa for a short trip/holiday to the EU.

If there is a deal, there will be no changes to how you enter the EU until at least December 31st 2020. In the event of no-deal, the European Commission proposals envisage no visa requirements for short trips.

You can view further information at the Gov.UK website

Is My Passport Valid?

Yes. If you have a minimum of six months left on it at the time of arrival (or up to nine months if you renewed it early) then you can enter and leave the EU.

You can check your passport validity online at the Gov.UK website

Will My EHIC Card Still Be Valid?

The current Withdrawal Agreement allows for a transition period lasting until December 31st 2020 and during this time EU law would still apply in the UK.  Which means EHIC cards would remain valid throughout this period here on Lanzarote.

However, the latest UK Government advice also recommends that UK tourists should also take out comprehensive travel insurance when visiting any country, whether within or outside the EU, whilst stressing that EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.

Visit the Gov.UK website for more information about healthcare in Spain and the Canary Islands after Brexit

Will I Need An International Driving Permit?

No, not for short break holidays.  In Spain (and Lanzarote) you will not need an international driving permit for visits of up to nine months after the date when the UK leaves the EU.

Thereafter, you will not need an international driving permit for visits up to six months, if you have either a UK photocard or UK paper driving licence.

<< Back to posts